Tuesday, June 30, 2009

FreeCycle on a Tuesday Afternoon

Today I stayed in waiting for the Salvation Army to pick up. I called the pick up in 3 weeks ago, described and listed all the items I wished to donate so that the man on the phone could tell me whether or not they were acceptable and create a job ticket for the driver. The ticket can also be used for tax purposes. Included in my donation was an antique sewing box from the 1940s and a working Necchi sewing machine that was collecting dust. There were also 2 large bags of clothing, some clear plastic shoe boxes from the Container Store, a dozen stripped cloth storage boxes, 2 bags of clothing and a large standing jewelry chest from Pier One.

All of the items were clearly listed on the ticket but the two men picking up decided to take only the 2 bags of clothing and the jewelry chest, after I showed them that it wasn't broken and that the top hinged open to reveal a hidden mirror and ring compartment. They claimed the other items were no longer accepted and not worth taking in as they would only be thrown away. I think they just decided not to take the items because I wasn't intimdated by the driver's manner. One was rude and cocky, which did not impress me, and when I met him in kind and questioned why he would reject items clearly accepted by the dispatcher his aggression turned to the power play of not acceptable the bulk of my donation. I can admit not only did their manner piss me off but the fact when I reviewed the list of acceptable items on the Salvation Army site there, clear as day, were a few of the items left behind, including working sewing machines. The customer rep at the Salvation Army told me it was up to the drivers whether or not to accept the items. Lesson learned - I will now only donate to Housing Works.

I know a number of people that no longer donate items too large to drop off to places like the Salvation Army because it takes too much effort to do. Appointments must be made 2-3 weeks in advance and though they rightfully have a list of items they no longer accept and it is the donator's responsibility to sort out what will and will not be taken, as per the customer representative it is the driver's final decision that counts. In addition pick up is between 8AM and 4PM so someone is stuck in the home all day waiting for the truck to arrive and no they can't give you an estimated window.

Instead many of my friend's use Freecycle groups in their areas. This network of people pass on and accept all manner of items. I posted all the items left and within 10 minutes had commitments to each and every item up before the evening ends. Check out http://www.freecycle.org/ for a group in your area and pass it forward....

1 comment:

preppygoesrock said...

nice....
check out my blog
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/
http://preppygoesrock.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails