Monday, June 29, 2009

Dyed Memories

I grew up in a very creative family. Musicians, Artists, Cooks, Dressmakers and Story Tellers abound. Creativity was in their genes and circumstance never stopped them from finding ways to express themselves. They chose to improve their day to day lives by making and sharing things that in the end became things I now realize were luxuries. Their choice to do so enriched my life in ways I am still learning about. I can never fully express my graditude.


When I think of fashion I can not do so without recalling my Grandmother Rosalie, father and Aunt Frances, but it was Aunt Frances' ability to look at a picture of any dress, hat or handbag and with the materials available make her version of it that has influenced me most.
Aunt Frances was always stylish and she and my Aunt Patty were the movie stars of the family (see photo above, sorry poor quality). Frances was known for dying hand bags and shoes to match and compliment her outfits, sometimes changing the same accessories over and over again until they couldn't be salvaged anymore. It is because of her influence and lessons that I do not hestitate to experiment with recyling the fabric of clothing that no longer suits, dying shoes and bags whose original colors I liked less than than their design or take apart jewelry to rework into new pieces to wear. When I bought Tarrago Self Shine Color Dye Kit with Preparer in black to dye a pair of lime green leather peeptoe slingback sandals black I couldn't help but think of Aunt Frances.

This dye kit is a complete step by step product that includes all you need to change the look of most leather items, including shoes, bags, hats and if your adventurous and patient even clothing. It comes in a variety of colors, including metallic gold and silver. I encourage you to test on a small area first and remember dying darker is always easiest.
Available via http://www.amazon.com/ for $6.95 - $7.95 depending on your color selection.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails