Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday's Mental Musings

I am by nature an existentialist (hahaha I hope someone got that joke). One of my all time favorite qoutes is "I believe in nothing, everything is sacred. I believe in everything, nothing is sacred" -Tom Robbins. I recently took one of those annoyingly addictive Facebook quizes and found that the philosopher I am most like was Jean Paul Sartre ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre ).

My problem with truly admitting that I believe we are solely and individually responsible for our lives is that I constantly see evidence of our connective existence and the affects it has on us as both individuals and part of a communities of peoples bonded by birth, belief and cultures. I believe there is more than a here and right now and though I try to exist in the moment for the moment's sake I know those moments are sandwiched between past and present moments that affect the very moment I am in. I admit that I am constantly questioning the need for man to put his faith in an entity that exists outside his physical and mental scope yet reflects all manner of behavior present within both because it is then that we, man, forgo our responsibility for our lives, our actions and the effects they have on ourselves as well as others. Yet I believe we are energy and energy emerges from and, if allowed, returns to the individual source that birthed it.

I believe this source is God but I always consider and question what is God's purpose and our purpose to it. Though I have an inkling of a definition my questions will not stop despite my faith that from the one source I come and to the one source I will return. My questions regard the constant need for man to define that source within his own reflection and with rules and regulations that reflect social and cultural traditions that are stet in the constant motion of change. Yet despite the request for trust and blind faith by most religions and spiritual teachings, which I believe is a manifestation of parental monitering, if you look around you will see we are constantly being encouraged to ask our self "Who am I? What is my purpose? What is the present and my relationship to it? the future? the past? These questions are the basics of existenitalist thinking and contradict the concept of solely trusting in the fact that you are here with an extreme purpose that will reveal itself in time. Another Tuesday of mental musings and bad coffee...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails