Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Luxury of Home Baked Goodies

One Sunday a month you can find me at home baking muffins or fruit breads that make even the quickest breakfast a luxury.
One of my favorite muffins to make is PUMPKIN MUFFINS(Yes!, that's my photo).
The original recipe came from Gourmet Magazine but in the years I have used it I have tweaked and played with it until it is as follows -
  • 1-3/4 cup flour ( 50% White/50% Whole Wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 Can of Solid Packed Pumpkin - 15oz
  • 1/3 cup Veggie Oil
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Pumpkin-Pie Spice
  • 1 Cup White Sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Flax Seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 tablespoon Sugar + 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Heat Oven to 350 F
In one bowl add sifted flour and baking powder, whisk and set aside
In another bowl mix pumpkin, oil, 2 eggs, flax seed, pumpkin spice, sugar, baking soda, salt until smooth
Add flour and baking powder mix well
Here is the creative part - I always add a dried fruit or nut to give the muffin texture. Sometimes I add 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds or chopped walnuts and/or 1/3 cup of raisens or 1/4 chopped candied ginger and/or 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Sometimes I add one item, sometimes I add at least two. It depends on my mood.
Fill 12 lined muffin cups 3/4 way, sprinkle tops with sugar/cinnamon mix and bake for 20-30 minutes, until toothpick pulls out clean. Cool.
These freeze for up to 3 months, but if you share, like I do, you'll never know this.

2 comments:

Slimbolala said...

Now I'm hungry.

diane said...

I'm not much of a baker, but I am blessed with a daughter who is. Your recipe looks good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails