Friday, January 9, 2009

If the Shoe Fits, Buy It

Last weekend while picking up some buttons at the last remaining fabric store on High Street in Downtown Brooklyn I decided to stop at Baker's Shoe Store at 454 Fulton Steet on the Mall. I hadn't been in a Baker's in YEARS! I didn't even know they still existed. This was the shoe store my friends and I headed to at lunchtime on a Friday pay day to buy some little smoking heeled number to dance the weekend away in and still have enough money left over for to make rent.
A once around the store reminded me why I stopped shopping at this trendy moderately priced label carrying shoe store. The shoes either tower on heels well over 4 inches or are so flat that your feet kiss the ground when walking. They don't seem to carry anything in between and though the labels are recognisible their market is definitely the 20somethings crowd that likes young hip loud labels like Baby Phat, BCB Girls, Guess, Roccawear and Jessica (cough-cough) Simpson. Despite this I couldn't help but admire the shoes they did have. Each was a statement in itself. They sell shoes meant to be the center of the outfit. Even the shoes that were for "career: and "casual" wear were either extremely high heeled or attention getters. I did find the same pair of mock-motorcycle walking boots I was wearing at the time on sale from $129.95 to $29.95. I hadn't purchased them for their original selling price and because my pair had seen better days couldn't help but snap up their replacements before heading across the street to Macy's.
If you aren't 20something or aren't prone to wearing statement footwear check out their website before venturing down there to make sure that their style is worth the adventure of a visit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The majority of professional dance shoes are not purchased by the amateur dancer but by graduates of colleges and university as they step out into their professional career. Bear in mind when you make your purchase however, that the quality of the shoe is often refelcted in the price you pay and before you do so, carefully examine quality, especially the heels, soles and general construction.

Unknown said...

I can see your direction..lol..loved shopping Capezios and even own a pair of tango shoes I wear all the time, very late 1920/early 1930s

Related Posts with Thumbnails