Saturday, January 17, 2009

Fashion Forward..

As an artist I am inspired by many things. As someone who can claim many ethnicities I can rightfully wear many costumes but I always find my self a bit hesitant to wear traditional clothing, jewelry or other items that specifically reflect a group of peoples that are often considered nothing more than exotic "inspiration" for others, especially if those items have ritualistic and social meanings and uses. Come every spring and fall when the magazines bring out the "ethnic" items I really try to find things that aren't obvious rip offs of their inspiration. To be honest we may as well buy the goods directly from the peoples who produce and wear them than to buy a high end designer's version even if a percentage of the proceeds go to their "inspiration" or the goods are made by the people who are often being exploited in a creative, if not financial, way. This is not to say that I can not admire and desire items that have no connection to me save for their availability in the market. I recently discovered images of Nick Cave's art clothing and have to say that I am in total awe of his ability to express his own vision despite obvious influences from identifiable sources. Brilliant, Beautiful, Powerful and Whimsical all at the same time. I am inspired!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails