Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Traditional New Years

I'm writing this before my holiday break. By the time this posts I will be busy running around preparing to welcome in the New Year. My house will be clean, there will be coins on the window sills and I will be wearing at least one piece of new clothing. On the stove and later left on my plate will be some of my family's traditional New Year's Eve foods and though at the stroke of midnight we will be in the park watching the fireworks in order to guarantee wealth, health and happiness in the coming year I will still make sure the first to enter my house after midnight is a dark haired man with a bottle of good wine.

I won't bore, or amuse you, with with any more of the things that I do to ring in the New Year. I am hoping that reading this gives you pause and in that pause you give yourself the luxury of reflecting upon all the wonderful traditions that have been handed down to you and that you are passing along and adding onto as the expanse of family and friends widens and envelopes new generations and peoples. In this consideration I hope you find comfort in knowing that because of those gifts you are linked to those that came before you and will be linked to those who will come after you and welcome another year filled with possibility!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails