Friday, November 28, 2008

A Penny & A Dream & Crossing Dressing with Style

Secretly I have always loved Penny Loafers, but I could never bring myself to purchase a brand new pair. I was always too "cool". Those I have secretly loved and worn were vintage (OK, gently used!) shoes salvaged from thrift stores and Upper East Side consignment shops usually for less than $3-10 a pair. This made it ok to dispose of them when my then fickle taste and style wavered. Those Penny Loafers were always in that rich shade of burgundy called Cordovan and were always the caste offs of boys or men with rather small feet. To this day I still dream of owning the pair of perfect pumps and leather boots in that beautiful color, with matching belt and bag of course.

Recently I have wanted to purchase a brand new shiny pair of these loafers. I thought it would be easy to find the classic versions since they had become fashionable again. I was wrong. Instead I found patterned versions, shiny patent leather shoes in all manner of color, thin soled and tapered toe versions made for women who want to maintain that "feminine" edge. I prefer the sturdy version that promises to improve with each spit shine and withstand miles of walking in comfort. So I started my search for the classic Cordovan Penny Loafers via the net and discovered that they are easier to find on line when googled by description. llbean.com has their version in the color I so love for only $99. Unfortunately they only seem to carry men's sizes and though this wouldn't be an issue if I could try them on, the possibility that I might pick have to go through the return forced me to continue on in my quest. Further research brought me to onlineshoes.com 's Bass women's Penny Loafer in the beloved color for only $59.95.
http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=127915

I wonder if I should slip in some dimes instead of pennies..

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails