Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cake Walking..


100 Years ago I played bass. I owned a Rickenbacker and played in a short lived all girl band. Then life interupted and I realized that making visual art was what I wanted to concentrate on. So I sold the Rickenbacker for much less than it was worth, passed on the amps and packed away the custom made strap a friend gave me for my 21st birthday.

Recently I found myself plucking and slapping and thinking of chords. After walking around playing air guitar for a few weeks I decided it was time to pick up an instrument again. I researched purchasing my original guitar and found that my little red Rickenbacker now sells for way more than I am willing to spend and a Washburn, which is comparable, is still too much of a financial investment for me at this point in time so onto EBAY I went. Despite trolling the listings and half heartedly bidding on a few guitars I still couldn't zone in on a bass worthy of toying with. After much research and the realization I really didn't want to spend 100s$$$ on a toy that might end up hanging on the wall as art (WHY didn't I think of that when I had my Rickenbacker?!!) I finally purchased the SX GRB1K CPP Purple Left Handed Bass Guitar from Rondo via amazon.com.

The Pink or Purple bass comes with a gig bag, strap and dvd and there is even a package option that includes an amp! The guitar weighs only 8lbs and is slightly reduced in scale and size so that I can play comfortably. The Alder wood body gives my plucking and slapping a "vintage" sound and for just under $60 it's worth the risk, though a real musician will be embarrassed by its badly designed box, the juvenile decorating stickers, strap and the cheap purple gig bag it comes with.

click on title to go to site

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails