Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuesday's Mental Musings

Why do I feel compelled to own "stuff"? I am by no means a hoarder but I sometimes feel I own more stuff that I actually need and despite using most of what I own I sometimes wonder what things could be eliminated without forcing me to live in survival mode.

Remember your first days living on your own when a plate, one blanket and a multi use mug was good enough?  When did I begin need to need to own and use a setting for 6? When did I need to have both cold and warm weather robes? When did I need to own every RHCP cd?

I have already purged so much yet I still have this urge to get rid of more. I constantly release things to the universe but the universe has a way of giving it all back, sometimes twice as much as what I let go of. I am grateful but I often sit and consider what "things" I could live with if I needed to live in only one room.

I know this urge is really about giving my self space and time. I know minimizing life is a process that requires patience and more importantly honesty but as I look around taking inventory I can't help but feel that I will forever be someone who owns "stuff"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails