Monday, February 1, 2010

Sitting In Silence

I am not a particularly religious person though spirit moves me. The only thing I am certain of is that we are all connected to each other and to the energy source from which we have all come all else is open to questions. I do meditate every morning and every night. I thank those that came before me, show graditude for those that are with me and welcome those that will come after me. I created a small shrine in a quiet area of my home for these moments of silence. It is a simple bookcase that holds various religious and spiritual things that have found their way to me.  Woven between items are photos of my ancestors and loved ones. Most of the things housed here are heavy with sentiment , everything is loved but nothing is precious.

Regardless of how I long or often pray I always like to light a candle. This Christmas my friend Alexa gave me the unexpected and lovely gift of light in the form of two white ceramic artichoke shaped candle holders.

All Images © Simone Rene 2010
Their shape reminded me so much of closed lotus flowers that I placed them both aside the Chinese Buddah that lives on one of the lower kneeling level shelves. The candle holders are deceiving in their simplicity. When lit from within by a small tealight candles their beauty shines brighter than expected and illuminates the area with a warm reflective glow.
All Images © Simone Rene 2010
I believe they came from Anthropologies. I haven't checked the site but you may want to.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails