Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sharing A New Year's Tradition

Those of you who read my blog know I love traditions and customs. Last year I mentioned a few that I keep in celebration and welcoming of a New Year. Some members of my family keep the tradition of making Hoppin John ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppin'_John ) and I grew up sharing in it.

Following is my recipe for a one pot version of this dish. Enjoy and don't forget the Corn Bread!

1 can (15 oz) drained and rinsed through
1/2 lb Smoked Turkey Wings and/or Necks, chop into pieces
1 Bay Leaf
2 tbs Veggie Oil (may need a little more)
1 large onion, chopped (can include red pepper or celery)
1/4 T dried hot red-pepper flakes
Salt
Black Pepper
5 cups water (I replace 2 cups water with chicken stock)
2 cups long-grain white rice

-makes 4 servings

Put 5 cups water on stove to boil
Add a good portion of chopped turkey wing/neck, bay leaf and some salt and pepper.
Let simmer to make stock
When ready remove turkey, drain and save to use
In big pot add 2 tbs veggie oil.
Heat and add red pepper, salt & pepper, onions (other veggies) and turkey.
Allow to "fry" to release flavor.
Add rice and stir until rice begins to become translucent.
Turn down heat, add 4 cups of "stock", stir and salt and pepper a bit.
Cover tightly and cook until liquid is absorbed - about 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in canned black eyed peas, recover and let hoppin' John stand for 10 minutes.
Fluff and serve


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails