Monday, November 16, 2009

Ginkgo Harvast



All Images © Simone Rene 2009

All over New York there are Ginkgo trees. Come this time of year you can locate them by the smell of the tree's fruit, ginkgo nuts, which fall aplenty. Most New Yorkers won't touch them because of their odor but I have seen them harvasted by the Chinese locals that know when the outter layer is peeled the nut's sweet, mild flavor, comparable to a chestnut or pistachio, is worth the effort, or so I have heard. I have never tried them. Trying a Durian fruit while in Malaysia was adventurous enough for this nose.

3 comments:

kerfuffler said...

I knew they were smelly, but I never knew they were edible. It seems like it would be hard to find intact ones-----on the sidewalk they get crushed by so many passers-by.

Unknown said...

It actually makes it easier to get to the nut! or at least that is what the husband and wife team told me when I asked...

JunkJeweller said...

Nice photograph!

Related Posts with Thumbnails