Friday, October 23, 2009

Watering Hole


A few posts back I shared a recipe for making the Ginger Beer I have been enjoying all summer but now that fall is upon us and winter is pending my thoughts have turned to hot drinks. Unfortunately I can't seem to get over the craving for spicy ginger and tart lemon flavors so I have been making an intense distillate of both, keeping it in a glass jar in the refrig and using drops of it (it's intense!)to flavor.

The following isn't really recipe, just what I do to make it
-Peel & Chopped 2 Large Knobs Of Ginger, About 4-6" Each
-Using Food Processor Grind Ginger Into Flakey Paste
- Zest 4 Large Lemons, Slice Lemons For Later Use
- Fill 4 Quart Pot With Cold Water & Ginger & Lemon Zest
- Allow To Boil For About An Hour Over Medium Heat, Adding More Water As Needed
- You Should Have Same Amount of Liquid
- Strain Liquid Into Large Clean, Sterile Glass Jar(s) With Caps/Tops For Sealing With Enough Room For Lemons
- Add Lemons, Seal & Refrigerate
- This Is STRONG!! - Use Drops To Taste In Hot Teas, Hot Water, Ice Water. I Have Used It To Flavor Lemon Pasta Sauce, Ginger Pumpkin Muffins And Even Added Drops To A Hot Bath!!


2 comments:

kerfuffler said...

That sounds so refreshing----and a pleasant alternative to the omnipresent, cinnamon scented potpourris.

I don't have any canning jars.....just what I need. another project!

Unknown said...

I guess you could use it as a potpourri. I use it to flavor and keep the concentrate in an old pickle jar that I sterilize by "boiling" in a lobster pot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails