Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Taking A Second Look


The other day I posted about my current soap obsession Coconut & Hibiscus Shea Butter Soap w/ Songyi Mushroom by Shea Moisture ( http://www.sheamoisture.com/ ). I am still obsessed and using the soap, which after 4 weeks of use has improved the texture and tone of my skin so that I returned to Duane Reade two weeks ago and purchased the accompanying body lotion (13 oz for S9.99). I just started using it and will need to wait to see if it only enhances the benefits using the soap has brought.

In my last post I was more concerned about the smell of the soap. In this post I want to share a bit of information about the company. In 1991 the owners immigrated from Liberia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia )to New York. In 1992 they began to manufacture body, hair and beauty products using old family recipes. Like Carol's Daughter, the originators of Shea Moisture started out by selling their products via a network of local street fair vendors before moving their items into beauty and health stores and opening their own store.

The company purchases their ingredients from women run cooperatives and indigenous farmers in Africa at market prices with the intent of improving the standards of living for their suppliers and the communities around them. They work with ECOSERVE and AFRICARE to ensure sustainable harvests and The LIBERIAN EDUCATION FUND and TODEE MISSION to support the building of schools and provide accessible education for impoverished children. Locally a percentage of their sales is donated to groups that support and encourage youth and community development. In addition their Sundial Stores provide support for local artists and craftspeople by displaying and selling their goods and encouraging the entrepreneurial spirit which push their own business along.

Wow - Now I am even more impressed by this product!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails