Monday, March 30, 2009

Now and A Zen


I meditate daily. In the past I sometimes set aside an hour a day to do so, but like most as other activities take center stage in my life the time slips away and I am lucky if I can sit for 15 minutes a day in silence. I find the easiest way to meditate is to sit in silence and be aware of my breathing. Yoga practice aside, I make the effort just to breathe. Inhaling, holding and exhaling to certain count patterns has always worked for me. Sometimes I get adventurous and visualize color, concentrate on an affirmation or the sound of a vowel.

Recently I ran across Eric Maisel's Ten Zen Seconds and found reading renewed my faith in taking time each day to center. The book is a very simple Western approach to the idea finding calm immediately. I don't believe working with this book will make me understand the concept of Zen, but at least it will help me find the peace Zen promises for a time and for me that's worth the effort.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails