Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Luxury of One Egg

One of my favorite luxuries is a meal made of one baked egg.
I often make them on Sundays for breakfast but sometimes they also find their way onto my dinner plate. Accompanied by some mixed greens and multi grain toast points they make a quick elegant week day dinner. "Recipe" as follows -
Ramekin, lightly buttered or oiled
1 Large Egg
Salt & Pepper
Now here comes the creativity -Reach into your refrig for what ever left over meats or veggies you may have and place them in the buttered/oiled ramekin before cracking the egg, salt and peppering and baking the little pot of goodness in a 350F oven until the egg sets, about 20-25 minutes.
One of my favorite versions consists of prosciutto, sliced tomato and cooked asparagus tips. I line the ramekin with the proscuitto, add the sliced tomato, arrange the asparagus tips in a pretty pattern and then crack the egg over it all. Just before the egg sets I remove the little pot from the oven, top with shredded cheese and put it back in for a minute or two for the cheese to melt and bubble.
I also love making them with left over mushrooms, spinach and shredded turkey sausage but to avoid drowning out the sausage flavor I never add cheese to this version. Sometimes when I crave a little Mexican flavor I line the ramekin with a teaspoon of refried black beans, a few slices of avocado and tomato before adding the egg. Once baked I top with salsa verde.
The choice is yours, but keep it simple, I suggest no more than 3 flavors, and you can't go wrong.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails