Sunday, March 8, 2009

Filling in the Gap


I love the Gap. I don't care what anyone says the Gap is worth loving. Because of the Gap most of the men I know started dressing with style that pushed passed their everyday jeans and t shirt. Because of the Gap most of those men I know went onto to develop their own style. Confident in their Gap button down shirts, flat front chinos and matching leather jackets, belts and shoes they found the courage to explore clothing options in stores they may never have considered if they hadn't walked into the Gap for 3 crew neck white t shirts and walked out with whole wardrobes and increased confidence.

A few years back I had all but given up on the Gap. They seemed to have lost their direction. The fit of their jeans was off and despite care the brightness of the t-shirts didn't last the season. But with the new designer Patrick Robinson at the helm the Gap seems to have straightened their course and added a sense of higher end design to the line. I know the Gap offers the same basics each season and there are just so many cardigans, trench coats, denim skirts and white cotton t-shirts one can own, but we are creatures of habit aren't we? There is a certain level of comfort knowing that I will be able to buy the same style t shirt and jeans, trends aside, that fit and flatter. There is a comfort level in knowing that in addition to those same styles there will be slight changes in fabrics and colors and new options that will either be added to the continous cycle or eliminated because it failed to inspire the Gap customer. I know dressing in Gap clothing is safe, but it's that safety that inspires me to reach for accessories, including jewelry, handbags, scarfs, hats, coats and shoes, that are in themselves signature pieces which need to be foiled and not fight against the backdrop of blouse and pant.
Thank You Gap
PS - I love your sale prices!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails