Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happening - Fashioned Images

There was a time when I had subscriptions to almost every mainstream fashion magazine out there but after more than a few years of pawing through them I finally realized that they each pretty much presented the same articles and clothing trends every month. To give my postman a break I cut down to just 3 subscriptions and now only receive Vogue, Bazaar and InStlye. Though they may all hit on some of the same trends each magazine has a different demographic so each differs in layout, price point and content presentation, offering some things the others don't, that includes the advertising they carry.

From these magazines I cull images that I keep in inspiration files. I refer to those files when I am rehashing my wardrobe by either buying classic pieces or low end versions of those trends. More importantly some of the images are so beautiful I just can't part with them. So if you love fashion images as much as I do beginning this month the International Center of Photography at 1133 Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave & 43rd St) hosts an exhibition of the high fashion photographs of Edward Steichen.
For those of you who aren't familiar with Mr Steichen it was his lens that shaped and changed the perception of the American in Fashion and Film (i.e., alluring images of Greta Garbo and Gloria Swanson, see his picture of Paul Robeson in the Emperor Jones here, recall those of Gary Cooper and Charlie Chaplin). Most of the 175 photos being presented are from the archives of Conde Naste where Mr Steichen worked from 1923-1937 and are expected to cover the full range of the iconic images he created. The exhibition runs from January 16th through May 3rd. Admission is $12, children and museum members are always free and there are discounts for seniors and students.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh greta garbo is such an icon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails